Monday, December 21, 2009

R.E.M. - Stand [Single]

"Stand" was released as the second single from R.E.M.'s 1989 album Green. The song quickly rose up the charts, peaking at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming R.E.M.'s second top 10 hit in the United States.


Michael Stipe has said of the song's origin that he and the other band members were discussing The Banana Splits, The Archies, The Monkees, and similar ’60s pop groups. “They threw these super bubblegummy songs at me, and I said, ‘I’ll raise you and see you one.’ And I wrote the most inane lyrics that I could possibly write. Now, it was a very intentional thing to do that. I really like most of those songs, in fact."

The third track is a live cover of "Skin Tight" by the Ohio Players and was recorded n Orlando, Florida 30 April 1989.

01. Stand
02. Pop Song '89 (Acoustic)
03. Skin Tight (Ohio Players) (Live)

R.E.M. - Stand [Single]

No comments: